- News & Views
- Solution Providers
Revenue at Risk: Why Addressing Deforestation Is Critical to Business Success
December 8, 2016
CDP's 2016 Global Forests Report examines disclosures from nearly 190 of the largest companies in the world, including three of the biggest commodity traders: ADM, Bunge and Cargill, and well-known brands such as Starbucks, McDonald’s, Kellogg and Coach. For the first time this year, CDP has scored all of the companies that responded publicly.
The report examines whether companies are sufficiently engaged across their supply chains to meet future business needs and protect long-term value.
The report finds that:
- A substantial share of corporate income (US$906 billion) depends on commodities linked to deforestation risk;
- Companies are overlooking how deforestation-related risks will impact growth;
- How companies address deforestation is coming under growing scrutiny;
- To capitalize on opportunity and minimize risk companies need to engage with their supply chains; and
- To ensure sustainable future growth, companies must move deforestation risk management into the boardroom and embed it into business strategies.